We combine traditional methods of learning Maths with new approaches, striking the right balance in order to find what works best for our individual children. As pupils move through the school, we continue to deliver interactive, problem-solving, practical, investigative and team work lessons, enriching and bringing the subject to life. Lessons will be integrated with ICT opportunities allowing children the ability to access Maths both at school and at home.
We fully recognise that children learn through a variety of ways and we aim to provide stimulating lessons which develop in all children their auditory, visual and kinaesthetic learning ability. As important as it is to learn methodology, we also want our pupils to explore, discover, be inquisitive and creative in their learning. This is encouraged from the moment they join us in Pre-Prep, where learning through play and discovery help to build confidence and ability with numbers.
The general aims of our Maths Department are:
• To promote enjoyment and enthusiasm for learning through practical activity, exploration and discussion.
• To promote confidence and competence with numbers and the number system.
• To develop the ability to solve problems through decision-making and reasoning in a range of contexts.
• To develop a practical understanding of the ways in which data is gathered and presented.
• To explore features of shape and space, and develop measuring skills in a range of contexts.
• To understand the importance of Mathematics in everyday life.
• To enable each child to reach as high a standard as possible.
|BBC Primary Numeracy||http://www.bbc.co.uk/schools|